I am… daughter… sister… wife… mother… grandmother… dog-lover… retired from corporate life… active writer. I am an extroverted introvert insomuch as I am naturally an introvert who has learned to be extroverted. I am aphantasic – one who lacks visual imagery. I am told I have a controlling nature, and yet, most of the time, I feel, like so many other people, as though I have very little real control over anything. I am on a spiritual journey.
Does any of this “make” me who I am?
Do the roles we play define who we are? Or is it who we are and our belief system that defines how we play our roles? In no particular order…
- I am a good daughter who helps to look after her aging father whenever he needs it. Mom passed away in 2016.
- I am still (age 55+) the annoying baby sister to my 3 siblings.
- I am a loving wife of almost 40 years to the same wonderful man.
- I am a doting mother to 3 amazing children, all grown and out in the world.
- I am a doting grandmother to 3 amazing grandchildren (so far), and I help where I can.
- I am a friend to a handful of amazingly devoted and supportive friends.
- I was pack leader to 1 amazing dog, a (now deceased) cocker spaniel, who filled my life with joy.
- I’ve been challenged by chronic depression, panic, anxiety, and excoriation disorders.
- I retired from the corporate world in 2018 and now pursue a calmer existence.
- As for my writing, I have published a few short stories, several articles, a novel (out-of-print), a children’s picture book (very recent), and… I’m a blogger. My writing fills this tiny spot in me like nothing else.
So, Liana… who are you??
I am a strong, independent woman who believes in respect, honesty, and common decency. I believe there is a hero in all of us. I believe in kindness and compassion and the freedom to be whoever you want to be. I believe in following your dreams, success, failure, falling, and getting back up again. I believe in living in the moment and loving for a lifetime. I marvel at the glorious diversities in life; ethnicity, food, families, religion, sexual orientation, music, hair colour, paint colour, cars, wine, shoes… and so on. The list is endless.
Does any of this really define who I am? You bet it does!
I am simply me… an ordinary woman living an ordinary life gifted with extraordinary blessings.
My name is Liana… and in this blog, which I named Cascading Insights, I will share with you my reflections and insights about aspects of my life.
Welcome! Pull up a chair and stay a while.